Sunday, July 1, 2012

Good Web Page Design and Web Page Development Software Are Major Obstacles For the Novice Marketer

Bewildered is probably the most descriptive term which would describe my state of mind after first breaking into the internet marketing game. I was lost beyond belief. I didn't know anything about marketing and I was a near computer illiterate.

But the one thing that drove me nuts was the realization that I had to eventually put up a website. Overwhelming dread and anxiety haunted me for months as I pursued this holy grail of online marketing. I was haunted by the prospect of failure. I am sure I am not the only one to realize that good web page design and using web page development software can be a huge hurdle for any novice.

I tried to teach myself HTML programming with mixed results. I talked to web designers and fainted at their prices. I fell for club site come-ons promising me my own websites. I downloaded free templates and stared at them for months. I crashed and burned using wizzywig software. I was obsessed.

Then I tried an end run by checking out Squidoo and HubPages. But they left me with the nagging feeling that I was selling my business short and settling for something less.

But what kept me going was when I went online, I found thousands of websites everywhere! I kept telling myself there had to be an answer. After months of research and checking out highly ranked sites I have come to the following conclusions:

  • HTML programming while easy becomes difficult when combining it with such things as CSS Style Sheets and Java Script.
  • You have to write informative articles to attract customers to your site who are in search of information. Therefore, you have to acquire the ability to write.
  • You also have to learn how to construct good "sales copy" for your optin pages, confirmation pages, sales pages and email newsletters.
  • You have to be able to create good headers and headlines.
  • You have to know something about graphics.
  • You have to create internal and external links on your site.
  • You have to SEO Optimize your web page both on site and off site to keep Google and other search engines happy.
  • You also have to understand odd entities such as perma links, widgets and plugins.
  • You need to understand meta-tags and how and where to insert them in your HTML programming.
  • You need to know how to create and acquire your own domain name.
  • You need to know how to use a hosting company, cPanel and FTP to construct and maintain your website.
  • And much, much more.

I am not telling you all this to discourage you. But I would be lying to you by making you think this whole process is easy because it isn't. The best way to get through this is to take little steps and enjoy each little success along the way. Inevitably, you will be successful just as I was, because I now have my own website. And eventually, it all came together in a hurry. After much worry and searching I finally stumbled onto the right path and you will too.

It should be pointed out that my requirements for a website may not be your requirements. Because I already had my own successful business on the street, I could afford to take my time and create a website which I believed would give me more money over the long haul. Someone else might not have this luxury and might require quick short term money. These and other considerations will dictate the type of websites one might create. The point being here is, a website should reflect the owner's needs and desires and one size definitely does not fit all.

My success in surmounting this obstacle of website construction revolved around understanding the above and continuing my search until somebody came along that allowed me to accomplish my goals within their vision of what constitutes a good website. I was probably more intuitive about all this than coldly analytical. If I was doing something that didn't feel right I stopped and looked elsewhere.

I am sure there will be those of you who are going to be disappointed by not being provided a magic bullet from this article. For those of you who are looking for such a magic bullet, I say good luck. What I am attempting to do here is instill a sort of mindset which if adopted will lead inevitably to your success.

But you will have to be highly motivated and be absolutely convinced that you will prevail. If you do this I can assure you that good web page design and using web page development software are not beyond your reach. Good hunting you are very close to the solution to your problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment